Winter Lawn Care
The winter months can be brutal on your home’s beautiful landscape. Don’t let the snow and freezing temperatures ruin what you’ve worked hard to create. Follow these winter landscaping tips to protect your home’s exterior from the elements this season.
• Make sure fallen leaves or debris have been completely cleared from your landscape to prevent insects and disease from spreading.
• Replace mulch around trees and shrubs to protect the roots and keep soil rich.
• It can be challenging for homeowners to determine how to protect plants from frost. We suggest using plant covers, shrub covers, and tree protectors to ensure the living materials used in your landscape are healthy and strong this coming spring.
• What you use for de-icing your hardscapes is typically personal preference. Consider using magnesium chloride or driveway salt for concrete safe ice melt. To melt ice on your pavers and other hardscaping materials, we suggest using sand or cat litter. When the snow and ice melt, the resulting runoff will not affect the surrounding plant materials.
• Get in the holiday season with exterior decorations. Hang strings of lights from tree branches and line porches and deck railings with garland. Make the most of all the seasons!
For more winter lawn care tips, visit your local Aspen Valley.